Never one for fad diets I took to google with my OCD and researched and researched. Along with watching The Doctors on TV, I came across this easy to follow 4 cycle healthy eating regiment I don't want to call it a diet because really all it involves is reprogramming your eating.
I have started today, and would like to document my journey....highs and lows.
The 17 Day Diet, is a low-processed food, low-sugar, low-fat diet that gets progressively less restrictive and can be used in cycles.
- 4 stages, progressively less restrictive
- Start with high lean protein, high non-starchy vegetables, probiotics, no starches
- Add unprocessed starch foods and slowly increase the allowed amount of fat in animal protein foods
- Add other whole grain starches and more ingredient choices
- Maintenance diet
17 Day Diet planThe diet has 4 cycles.
- Cycle 1: Accelerate. This cycle promotes rapid weight loss by improving digestive health, helping clear sugar from the blood to boost fat-burning, and discourage fat storage. It’s a low carb, low fat, low processed food, high vegetable, high lean protein stage, with unlimited permitted low-fat proteins and non-starchy vegetables. You follow this cycle for 17 days.
- Cycle 2: Activate. This cycle resets your metabolism through a strategy that involves increasing and decreasing your caloric consumption to stimulate fat-burning and to help prevent plateaus. It lasts 17 days and consists of alternating between Accelerate days (see above) and Activate days, where you start to add natural starches.
- Cycle 3: Achieve. This cycle helps you develop good eating habits through the re-introduction of additional foods and move you closer to your weight goal. It lasts 17 days. Some more carbs are allowed, and protein is cut down. At the end of cycle 3, if you have additional weight to lose, you can recycle back to cycle 1 then 2 then 3, or 2 then 3, or continue with 3 until you reach your goal weight.
- Cycle 4: Arrive. This cycle keeps you at your goal weight through a program of eating that lets you enjoy your favorite foods on weekends, while eating healthfully through the week. Monday breakfast through Friday lunch, eat with restrictions as described in cycles 1, 2, or 3. Friday dinner through Saturday night, eat your favorite foods and meals in moderation
Today I tried for the first time, egg whites. whether it was a "just in my head thing" or a truly gross, I gagged and promptly spit those tasteless things out right out. After I got through my self defeatist attitude (30 minutes), I took to the cookbook and realized that I could do egg whites for my omelets and other mixed breakfast dishes. PROBLEM SOLVED! yeah me
Now that breakfast was conquered and re-evaluated for tomorrow and going forward, I made a super salad for lunch. it was down right yummy! Made of lots of greens and loads of veggies and 2 hard boiled eggs, I topped it with HOMEMADE dressing , I was feeling very accomplished.......and it only took me 20 minutes to open the balsamic vinegar bottle!!!
Dinner was also a yummy success. Steamed vegetables and oven BBQ chicken breast Homemade BBQ sauce.
After a success first day of the new healthy eating regime, I also participated in a family zumba class (spent most the time laughing at my son ) and a 45 min yoga class.
I truly feel in my core that this will help me succeed in my weight loss journey.
Until next time............